RSS Feed

Daniel’s Room Makeover

So, after Leanna’s room makeover I made over Daniel’s room. Daniel’s room wasn’t as openly barren as Leanna’s but it needed some help.

Here is the room before from the doorway:



Here is the wall had the bookcase and dresser that you can see the side of from the doorway shot.


And this is the doorway wall, the big desk. The desk is really big. It’s as wide as the bed (a double bed) and it’s deep. It was taking up too much room in this small room. OK, so after Leanna’s things were all cleared out of Daniel’s room we could get started. I picked out Grant Beige by Benjamin Moore. I fell in love with this color. It was the perfect khaki color.


For Daniel’s room I wanted it to be “intellectual guy.” To get to that “intellectual look” I was thinking world maps, richer colors and textures, a step up from where his room was before. Lucky for me there was a lot of inspiration going around from the TV series “Sherlock.” That quirky, men’s study, like this article on Apartment Therapy. If I couldn’t get the look for less, I wanted to at least get that layered study feel. If money was not an issue, I would have gotten some animal skulls to hang on the walls, I think they are great to use for many rooms, but especially the eccentric study.

I did a few more DIY projects in Daniel’s room, the light’s over his bed and an update to his basic cork board. After moving Daniel’s bed around the room to see where it worked best, it ended up next to the door, to avoid having a lamp knocked off a table or a floor lamp perched next to the bed, I thought a wall mounted light would be good. What I had in mind was inspired by these lights by Little Green Notebook, I’ll post a little tutorial of how I did it a little later on. These lights I thought would bring in a cool, industrial vibe for the room.

Now for the after shots, warning the photos are kinda blurry, sorry, we finished at night and my camera doesn’t like to take night time photos. And with winter time I’m never at home there during the day to re-shoot.


So we moved around the room, sized down the desk and split up the bookcase and dresser.


We actually ended up returning this rug, it was too small and the room needed more. You can say the DIY’ed lights above the bed. The world map print is from Michael’s, the bedding is from JC Penney and Kohl’s. Cheryl and I went shopping for Daniel’s bedding together, I didn’t have a plan for his bedding. I wanted it to be masculine and grownup, but I wasn’t sure what we would be able to find at the store. I wasn’t set on anything, whatever we found that we liked would work. Cheryl carried a body pillow around with her at Kohl’s, I was worried she was going steal it for her bed.


For a new desk, we actually reused a drafting table that me dad had in the attic, the smaller size fits the size of the room better, and we figured Daniel doesn’t really need a huge workspace anymore, he really just needs room for his laptop and space to read. The lamp we had in storage too. Someday, I would love to replace his chair and toss that one in the trash. It hasn’t held up well over the past few years of daily use, the wheels no longer really roll.  I think some kind of simply ladder back, or some kind of simple wood chair would work well.

The blinds are from Menard’s, We originally were thinking curtains, but we were really having trouble finding curtains that would go with the rest of the room and not look too girly, and that were inexpensive. So my Dad suggested that we use these bamboo blinds. We didn’t have to worry about how light blocking they were because they are layered over thermal roller blinds. I think they actually fit the room perfectly, they are masculine and have great texture.

Did I mention we didn’t want to spend too much money for curtains, or really much of anything in this room since Daniel doesn’t live in it for nine months of the year. These rooms were done on a low budget, and I think they look great.


The bookcase moved over the the corner, and the globe got a new home on top. The cork board was one of the things I DIY’ed in the room. I just used some fabric and nail head trim to revamp the plain old cork board.  Also to come is a little tutorial on how I made over the worn out cork board.

So in the end, Daniel’s room just needed to be reorganized, grown up a little, and paired down. Daniel was really happy with the end results he said, “he felt like he was on one of those room makeover shows.”



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: